To The
Genesee County Drain Commissioner
Surface Water Management
Genesee County Drain Commissioner
Surface Water Management

Annual Reports / Informational Updates

Through the Clean Water Act, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) establised the Phase II regulations in 1999. The NPDES Phase II requires permit coverage for storm water discharges from small Ms4s in urbanized areas and construction activities that disturb between 1 and 5 acres of land. Within Michigan the program is managed by the Michigan Energy, Great Lakes & Environment (EGLE ). Under EGLE, Genesee County and the communities that have an urbanized area, have applied for and received permits called certificate of coverage. One of the requirements of this permit is submitting an annual report, due November 1 of each year.

Following reports submitted to MI Waters by April 1, 2021

EGLE has gone to their own questionaire, so we will not be mailing out one this year. see letter. below is guidance on how to answer the questionaire and what needs to be uploaded.
Things to note:
You are going to want your permit application so you can see what you committed to do.
In the permit application there are committments by you. make sure you report on those also. ie inspections, training, ...
Reporting period should be March 1, 2020 through March 1, 2021, check MIWaters to make sure of your reporting period.

If you do not have MIWaters account, here is an updated guidance

MIWaters instructions: open or download instructionsand follow steps to fill out current reporting period.(updated 5/11/21)


For Genesee County and Nested Jurisdictions Click Here

Davison Township Vienna Township City of Flushing
Fenton Township City of Burton City of Grand Blanc
Flint Township City of Clio City of Linden
Genesee Township City of Davison City of Mt. Morris
Mt. Morris Township City of Fenton City of Swartz Creek

Current Reports

Past Reports

Additional Information

What is an Ms4?
An Ms4 is a drainage system (including roads, catch basins, curbs, gutters, parking lots, ditches, conduits, pumping devices, or man-made channels) that is owned by a government agency and designated or used for collecting storm water.

What is an Urbanized Area?
The Environmental Protection Agency defines Urbanized Areas as a land area comprising one or more places central place(s) and the adjacent densely settled surrounding area urban fringe that together have a residential population of at least 50,000 and an overall population density of at least 1,000 people per square mile .

Urbanized Area Map 2010 (Shaded Area Plus Hatched Area)- link redirects you to EGLE website

What is MI Water Newsletter 2015